Benefits of Sustianability
Sustainability is a lens that illuminates opportunities to create shared value: opportunities that not only benefit your company, but also your stakeholders and the community at large.
The benefits of sustainability include:
- Reduce costs: By reducing your ecological footprint, your business is consuming less energy and spending less money, which leads to greater profitability.
- Foster greater customer loyalty: Your customers and investors are demanding greater corporate social responsibility and accountability. Prove that this is an important part of your business, and our customers and stakeholders will spread the word.
- Attract and retain skilled employees: The best of today’s talent, especially young people, are looking at sustainability management as a key factor in determining which companies they want to work for.
- Become an innovation leader: The Harvard Business School Journal says “Sustainability is the #1 driver of innovation in business today.” You can be among the first to introduce new, improved products, services and processes.
- Reduce financial and reputational risk: By proactively recognizing, managing and reporting your environmental and social impacts, you will receive better financing rates, realize improved license to operate and enjoy a more favourable reputation.
- Reduce management risk: The precedent has been established in Canadian law that directors and senior managers are expected to be aware of their company’s environmental and social impact. Having a sustainability strategy is good insurance.
- Realize greater prosperity: Your positive social and environmental initiatives will contribute to a positive economic bottom line for your business and better quality of life for your employees and the people of Hamilton and Burlington.
- Improve employee morale: Demonstrating that you are an equitable employer who supports life balance leads to more satisfied employees, enhanced productivity and reduced hiring and retention costs.
- Create a healthier community: Reducing your environmental impact, and making a greater contribution to your community through charitable contributions and encouraging volunteerism, leads to a better quality of life.
In the end, it’s about creating greater sustainable value for your company, institution or organization while contributing to a better world. There can be no bigger benefit.
Now imagine if all businesses in Burlington and Hamilton, Ontario made sustainability or corporate social responsibility a core part of their operations…it would lead to a more prosperous future and positive brand image for our cities. That’s the goal of Sustainable Hamilton Burlington.
Here are some of the actions companies can take to practice environmental, social and economic sustainability:
- Support work/life balance programs (e.g. flexible work hours)
- Recognize the value of a diverse workforce
- Promote employee volunterism
- Support community initiatives
- Pay a living wage
- Enforce fair labour practices with suppliers as well as in your own company
- Employment creation and skills development
- Invest in your community
- Protect consumers’ health and safety
- Reduce waste
- Improve energy efficiency
- Reduce GHG emissions
- Reduce / eliminate harmful chemicals
- Reduce water usage
- Support your local economy by buying local
- “Green” your supply chain
- Hire local workers
- Support training and scholarship programs