Your journey to a sustainable future starts here
The Sustainable Business Initiative, SHB’s membership program, provides local area organizations with the support and tools they need to embark on real sustainable change.
Through the SBI, we guide, support and celebrate a local network of forward-thinking organizations that are embedding sustainability practices into their business models and reaping the undeniable benefits.
As an SBI member, you’ll have access to:
- Tools and resources; SBI member support specialists provide assistance as-needed every step along the way as you plan and implement your sustainability plan
- Free attendance at all networking/learning events and workshops (approximately six events per year.)
- Credible, 3rd-party recognition for measurable progress including an annual Evening of Recognition, Sustainability Awards, Annual Business Reports, on this website and in social media.
For more information on the many benefits of membership, download the SBI sell sheet (pdf).
Membership stream that match your sustainability goals
Recognizing that each organization has its own unique sustainability challenges and goals, the SBI offers three member streams. Your company’s membership stream will depend on your needs and measurement capabilities for your carbon/greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction plan.
- Green House Gas Emissions Reduction Stream members report on, and set a reduction target for GHG emissions.
- Waste Stream members report on, and set targets for decreased waste and increased diversion of waste from landfills.
- B Lab members work through a B Lab Assessment: they compare their performance to other companies in the same sector and take action to improve that score over time.
- Finally all members are eligible to produce a comprehensive Global Reporting Initiative (GRI)-based sustainability report in addition to making progress on an environmental target.
Each stream described above consists of 5 Milestones to deliver measurable positive change.
With the help of our team of advisors, your organization will choose the appropriate stream, establish a baseline, set quantitative improvement targets and report annually on your progress towards those targets.
M1: Learn about our framework and tools: form Sustainability Team.
M2: Engage stakeholders, identify high priority sustainability issues, collect baseline data
M3: Set sustainability/carbon reduction targets.
M4: Create Sustainability and/or Carbon Action Plan.
M5: Track progress, submit your report, revisit and revise.
SHB offered us support, guidance and encouragement throughout the entire report writing process. Volunteers made themselves available to come to our office, explain concepts and provide constructive feedback. We are proud to be part of the sustainability-minded community that SHB has created in our region.